Thursday, August 10, 2006

It's Friday. This week has flown by. Between being sick and being busy I feel like I haven't gotten a thing done all week. Maybe all of the rain this week has made things feel different too. I've loved all of the rain. It started Monday afternoon and it hasn't stopped. I love it execpt for what it does to our schedule. With the team coming in on Monday it looks like if the weather clears up, Jason will be flying the weekend. It is hard for me to feel like I need to gear up for the weekend instead of wind down. I just hate not knowing!

Yesterday Jason and I went into town to get some business done. When we first arrived in the country, we opened up our bank account with a national bank at a Mindanao branch. After having my card stolen last year, we had my card cancelled. Trying to get a replacement was a nightmare.

We had to go back to the original branch to request a replacement. The first time we drove 4 hours back to the branch in the town we first lived in to pick it up we had waited too long in between when we had ordered it and when we came to pick it up so it had been shredded. The second time we went to pick it up after reordering it, there was a typhoon going through Manila and therfore the bank had shut down all of their branches nationwide so the bank wasn't even open. We've tried to get a replacement card here, but we were told that we could only have the card sent to our original bank branch, which doesn't help us much when it is on another island.

SO, yesterday we had to close our account, withdraw all of our cash and redeposit it into another account. That was the only way I could get a new ATM card. You would think sometimes that this country didn't have computer systems or something. It was, in a way, a nice 1 1/2 hour break from the kids. It was almost therapudic to sit and watch people getting work done. Made me kind of miss having a job where I use my brain, interact with adults and see that I have accomplished something at the end of the day. Oh well!

No comments: