Monday, September 10, 2012

a choice

Today I gave my girl a choice.  She wasn't allowed to bring her bad attitude into our 'classroom'.  She had work to do for the day.  If she couldn't get the attitude under control and get her work done it would roll over to the next day.  I wasn't going to let her into the room to argue and fight with me.  

I'm done with that strain on our relationship.  Done.  

So after getting kicked out a few times, she made the decision to come in, sit down, and do her work.  

Maybe it needs to be her choice instead of me forcing her to do what she needs to do.  Would that be how to handle a strong willed child that doesn't like being told what to do? Then if she doesn't make a wise choice she can deal with the logical consequences of her decision.  Maybe we're on to something.  Maybe.  

1 comment:

Todd and Julie said...

Hey Jen! :) Hang in there, friend! Sounds like you had a better day...and I'm hoping it continues! I read once about a family who didn't allow their kids to argue with them verbally. They had to write out all their complaints and a notebook would get passed back and forth. I thought it was funny but probably helpful in some situations! Praying for you and your new job as a bouncer! :)