Friday, July 20, 2012

princess































   Meet Princess.  She's the girl next door.  This sweet little thing knows how to ask for candy and money like no other.  Mirielle is trying to figure out what it looks like to be her friend.  She was sweet enough today to let me snap a few pictures of her.  I was trying to get her to really smile because she has lost her 2 front teeth but she wouldn't crack a smile big enough.  Trust me, I gave her lots of visual cues that I wanted to see her wide open mouth. Lots of cues since she didn't understand a word of my English.  I must have looked like quite the looney toon.

Her family lives right in front of us.  They are squatters in a pieced together shack and we share our electricity with them so they can run a light bulb when it is dark out.  This week the landlord of our house and surrounding property started moving in supplies to build a bed and breakfast in the lot where her family lives.  I imagine her dad must be wondering when he will loose his spot on the land that isn't his.  He's old and injured and he can't provide much for his little family.  Princess is his only child.

For now we will keep feeding her candy while she's the girl next door.

1 comment:

Todd and Julie said...

Jen, I just found you again on here! I used lots of my precious evening minutes catching up on your old posts...thanks so much for sharing your heart and the things the Lord is teaching you. I have so much I could say to you but I mostly want to say that I've missed you. Your writings were encouraging to me tonight, and I'm so glad to know a little better how to pray. You've been there for just over 10 weeks -- (funny how Zane's birth and your departure were the same weekend) -- and you'll never be the same!

I love you friend! Thanks for going along on this journey with God. Wish we could get together for coffee. :)