Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Settle In

It seems like lately I've been trying to settle into my life. In our women's Bible study last week, the study was on letting go of trying to control things and allow ourselves to rest in God's hands. The study was talking about Paul and the struggles that he faced in his life.

"Paul's example of how to live with thorns suggests that we rest in our weaknesses. If we settle into the position His grace has placed us, we'll see His strength made perfect there. And we'll experience the joy of our journey following Him."

Sometimes I feel like I am trying to tread water when all I need to do is lean back, take a deep breath and float - trust. I think I need to settle in instead of fighting this new life we're living. When I'm having a hard day I start to wish that Jason had a normal job - a 9 to 5 job and that my mom lived down the road and that I could go to the mom's group at our church and have a break from the kids once a week and that there was a Target where I could shop and no one would care that I was a white lady with blonde kids.

I remind myself of Peter when he stepped out of the boat onto the water. He did great staying on top of those waves until he looked around at where he was and started thinking about what he was doing, instead of focusing on WHO called him onto the water. I start looking around at my life and SINK! Sometimes I don't look up until I've gone under the water. Then when I look up and refocus, God reminds me that he has called us here and has given us the privledge of serving him here. He has called us here to live this crazy life and that he is faithful to provide all of my needs.

So God has been reminding me to settle in. The couches here are wicker and have a piece of foam on the bottom and a throw pillows. They serve their purpose but aren't the most comfortable. Not so great when you just want to kick up your heels on a Saturday night, flop on the couch and watch a good movie. Anyways, when I think of settling in, I think of a great big comfy couch - the kind that is the perfect couch for a Sunday nap. You know, when you roll around until you are in the perfectly comfortable place and then you settle in. That is what I think of when I think of settling in.... And I think, that is how God wants me to be in his grace. He wants me to settle in, into his capable hands and sufficient grace until I am perfectly comfortable. Settled into the position of grace he has placed me in, living through his strength and experiencing his joy.

And so my prayer becomes:
"We ask God to give you a complete understanding of what he wants to do in your lives, and we ask him to make you wise with spiritual wisdom. Then the way you live will always honor and please the Lord, and you will continually do good kind things for others. All the while you will learn to know God better and better. We also pray that you will be strengthened with his glorious power so that you will have all the patience and endurance you need. May you be filled with joy." Colossians 1:9-11

OK- I'm done preaching to myself now!

No comments: